I first came upon The Minimalist Baker blog about 4 years ago, Dana and John's food philosophy resonated deeply with me then, and it still does today. Their recipes are easy, simple (10 ingredients or less) and healthy. This black bean brownie was the first thing I made off their blog and to this day it often makes an appearance in our house.
Of course I tweaked the recipe a bit, i use eggs instead of flax eggs as I'm not vegan, and I often add various 'throw ins' like walnuts and cacao nibs, or Chia berry sauce or like this one, raspberry and pistachio.
Black Bean Brownie
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of Chatnal Organic Black beans, rinsed and dried
- 3 Tablespoons of melted coconut oil OR ghee
- 3/4 cup of good quality cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- heaping 1/2 cup of sugar, blended until fine
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F)
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor.
- Process until quite smooth, adding water if necessary.
- Pour batter into prepared tin or oiled skillet.
- sprinkle over add ins if using.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the brownie is pulling away from the sides and the centre is set.
- Serve with mascarpone.