This cake was seriously hard to name, the cake its self is a brown sugar butter cake make with organic spelt flour, it has just the right amount of vanilla and warming winter spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. The sunken pears are perfectly roasted inside the cake, they kind of stewed in their own juices and cooked to perfection. Then the crumble topping is gorgeously crunchy and sweet, a mixture of whole almond meal, nutmeg, cinnamon and butter. Then to top it of I served it with homemade salted caramel sauce and organic cream.....a bit decadent for a Tuesday afternoon tea but you know....So you can see my problem, so many elements, it was hard to grab a few and name this beauty, so Sunken Pear cake it is....
All photos are taken on my phone, sorry about the quality, a decent camera is only weeks away! Oh and the recipe is below...Xxx
Sunken pear cake with Almond, cinnamon and nutmeg crumble topping.
- 150 g butter, melted and at room temperature
- 100g brown sugar (next time id use less, maybe 80g)
- 2 large eggs, or 3 small
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of good quality vanilla paste
- 140g spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3-4 small organic pears
Mix together 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 cup of almond meal. Rub in 20g of butter in until crumbly, set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 180C and prepare your cake pan (mine was 7") by either lining it with baking paper or coating with butter and dusting with flour.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl
- In a separate bowl mix the butter and sugar together until creamy (I used my stand mixer but it could be done by hand).
- One by one add the eggs to the butter mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Add the vanilla.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared tin, place the pears into the cake.
- Place the cake into the oven and bake for 1 hr. About half way thru the cooking time sprinkle over the crumble topping.
Serve with greek yogurt or fresh cream.